A Sky Full of Stars


Last night was the perfect summer night. It was warm with a cool breeze. The sky was perfectly clear. I was outside when the sun set and it was spectacular- red, orange, yellow and purple. It was breathtaking! I stood and enjoyed the sight for a full 10 minutes. As soon as the sun set however, I decided I had better get back to work or the work would never get done.

I didn't look up into the sky again until it was completely dark. As a treat for working so hard I laid down on my back and looked into the night sky. As I stared up into the big black sky I thought, Oh what a same, there are only two stars in the sky tonight. On a beautiful summer night like this the sky should be full of stars. But the night was still beautiful so stars or not I decided to stay right where I was. My mind wondered for some time on things that were worrying me and things that had to get done. After awhile I looked into the sky again because I had been outside for some time my eyes had adjusted to the dark and I noticed that there were more than two stars out- there were actually several stars out. I was pleased. The longer I looked for stars the more I found. By the time I decided I had better head home I realized that the sky was full of stars- I just hadn't noticed it at first.

This was a simple experience but one I have been thinking about a lot in terms of my relationship with God. I mean, how often do I turn my voice to heaven for guidance or direction or comfort and get discouraged because the answers aren't what I expect them to be? How often do I look away disappointed before my spiritual eye have adjusted and I can see clearly what God has in store for me? How often have I watched and waited and see some but not all of the answers I was seeking? All too often I am afraid.

I am grateful for moments like this though because from something simple I feel like I have learned something profound. I have to make time to be alone and quite and still to see God's purpose for me. It takes time (something I always feel I have to little of). It takes quite (hello, have you ever spent time with my boys? I love them but the talk NONSTOP!! There is no quite in my life unless I make it.) It takes being still (I am the queen of multitasking- like all of you. If I am not doing at least 5 things at once I feel unproductive). In short- it takes effort, planning, purpose.

Now don't get me wrong- I am not suggesting that one must be completely isolated from normal life to have a relationship with God. I am just saying that for me- I feel His love most when the distracts in my life are eliminated. Which is easily said and not so easily done I am afraid but it is something to think about and strive if nothing else.

Anyway... that is what is on my mind today. Thanks for letting me share it with you.

3 comments:

  • Bonnie | July 27, 2009 at 1:46 PM

    Beautiful photo, beautiful thoughts, beautiful daughter. I am so blessed to have you in my life. Love you so much and looking forward to seeing you in less than 5 months!

  • The Shields Family.... | July 27, 2009 at 5:51 PM

    Wow that is breath taking!! :-)

  • V and Co. | July 27, 2009 at 9:28 PM

    well i'll give this a try yet once again! i've tried leaving comments for months and it's either a bad connection with me or something! just wanted to say hi and that i yes do read your blog just not able to leave a comment! anywho hope all is well it seems like you had a really great time with the zoo animals! if this works then i'll be commenting more!