My Boys (Cut and Paste)

Monday, February 25, 2008

Cakes for Sale

On Saturday Spencer had his very first Blue and Gold Banquet for scouts- it was quite the event (deserving of its own post, so stay tuned)! As part of the days events there was a cake auction to raise money for camps and other troop outings. Each child was required to make, decorate and donate a cake for the auction. Spencer did a great job on his cake - take a look.
I really enjoy baking and was delighted to help Spencer with his cake. And given our sugar issues, I was thrilled that we could bake and decorate a cake together without actually having to eat it. We worked really hard and by the time we arrived at the banquet and donated our cake, I was glad to be rid of it. But a few minutes after the auction began it occurred to me that there were 50 cakes to be auctioned and only 50 families to buy them! I realized it was my duty as the mother of a boy scout to buy a cake, so I did. But here is the funny part, we spent 10 dollars buying the ingredients for the cake, 2 hours making and baking it and another hour decorating it. Then we bought it from ourselves for 10 dollars, cut one piece for Spencer to eat and threw the rest away!! Hello, what is wrong with this picture? Next time I will save myself the time and hassle and just donate 20 bucks!

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sunday Snacks

Sundays are always the hardest day of the week for me when Robert is gone. I am always out of ideas and out of energy long before the kids are and it never fails to make for interesting experiences. Well, today was no exception. Despite my greatest efforts not to, I took a nap this afternoon. While I was sleeping the kids asked if they could have a snack, I said sure. When I woke up this is what I found in the kitchen.


In case you can't tell by looking, their "snack" consisted of: a bowl of raspberries (note the straws used to drink the juice), a package of 5 hot dogs and half a bottle of Katsup, 2 cups of hot chocolate each, toast with frosting on it, half a loaf of Sunday bread, a zucchinni (I'm still not sure what they did with that because I am pretty sure they didn't eat it), a yellow bell pepper and left over Hawaiian Haystacks from last nights dinner. HELLO! What is up with that? It is not like I never feed them, they had breakfast and lunch- I swear!

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Murmuring

I am so frustrated right now about the endless murmuring I am subjected to by my boys. It is SO out of control and I am at a total loss for knowing how to deal with it. I feel like they have everything in the world to be grateful for and yet they live lives of total dissatisfaction with themselves and everyone else. What am I doing wrong!?! I can only imagine that they are getting their negativism from us. But both Robert and I try really hard to be positive about things (even when they are really hard) and I think we are both very careful about the things that we say (of course, I could be wrong).
Anyway, a perfect example... yesterday the boys woke up all grumpy that it was Monday. When they started in with the regular "I don't want to go to school today" and "I'm too tired to get out of bed, Mom" I reminded them that it was a holiday and that they didn't have to go to school. I thought they would be delighted but instead they immediately began complaining that they only got one day off and they didn't want to have to go to school at all.

Ahhh! How can I help them to be grateful for what they do have? How can I help them to see the glass as half full instead of half empty? When I discipline them for being negative and for constantly murmuring- they feel that I am not listening. When I listen to it day in and day out it gets worse. I am really struggling to know what the proper balance is.

Any thoughts, ideas, or comments from other moms who can relate would be greatly appreciated!

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Good Dreams

Tonight at dinner I told the boys that tomorrow was "Curtain and Carpet Day" (meaning the day we are FINALLY going to buy carpets and hang curtain in the house). And that they were really lucky they didn't have to go to school so they could stay home and help!

Ross said, "Mom tomorrow is not carpet and curtain day... it is Martin Luther King day!" I was impressed he remembered why he had the day off of school- I didn't think he would. So I and asked him why we celebrate Martin Luther King day.

And he said, "Well... it is all because he had a good dream!"

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Ross for President

This morning at breakfast Spencer and Ross and I got into a political discussion (it was actually quite comical). We talked about democracy's and monarchy's, Presidents and Kings. We talked about the great blessings we have been given as Americans and the many responsibilities that we have as a result of those blessings. Then we got to talking about the up coming presidential election and the importance of electing righteous leaders. I shared with them my feelings about the up coming presidential candidates. And while I tried to be objective and stay politically neutral, my strong feelings about Hillary must have at some point taken over becasue by the time I was done ranting both the boys were looking at me wide eyed and terrified.

Spencer, in his usual thoughtful and concerned way said, "Oh no Mom, what are we going to do if she gets elected?"

Before I could answer Ross said, "Don't worry Spence. I'll run for President- I'm sure I'll win! Cause I'm good and cause I can do hard things!"

So move over Mitt and Hillary- here comes Ross!!

0 comments: