Friday, February 22, 2008
A Lamp Unto My Feet
I have been thinking a lot about Becky the last few days and I want to share the words of a song that remind me of her. I found this song a few years ago and the title (Thy Word is a Lamp Unto My Feet) immediately reminded me of Becky. I was amazed at the title of the song, of course but as I read the words, I was even more amazed at how they represented what I saw in her and in the kind of life she lived.
I am a child so far from home, strangely a drift yet not alone.
I'm learning line on line, I'm growing grace by grace- clinging to the light I have been given.
Until I hear thy voice, until I see thy face, until I truly taste of heaven.
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.
It leads to the source of purest light and to all the Father hath.
It resounds in my soul like a voice from long ago, in words so pure and sweet.
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet.
I pray to thee each day for strength, to find and walk the narrow way.
I left from one safe shore and I will return once more faithful to the truth I have been given.
For in my heart I feel they promises are real, thy light will lead me back to heaven.
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.
It leads to the source of purest light and to all the Father hath.
It resounds in my soul like a voice from long ago, in words so pure and sweet.
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet.
Someday beyond the veil I'll worship at thy feet but 'til that blessed day when faith and knowledge meet: Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.
It leads to the source of purest light and to all the Father hath.
It resounds in my soul like a voice from long ago, in words so pure and sweet.
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet.
I came across this song late in January 2005 and learned it right away. I really wanted to sing it at church but didn't feel comfortable asking the ward music coordinator if I could, even though she was a good friend. Anyway a few weeks later (the third week of February to be exact) on a Thursday, my friend called and asked if I could come up with something to sing at church that Sunday. I told her about this song and she was thrilled. I sang it that Sunday and it was awesome- I felt like I was giving honor to Becky as I sang, to the amazing women she was and to the great life she lived. Of course, Becky wasn't there to hear it but I know somehow she heard.
That experience really helped me feel peace about Becky's death. Even though it happened years after she passed away, it was the first time I felt any real closure. I was 11 when Becky was diagnosed with cancer- way too young and immature to really understand what it all meant. Even at 19, when she died, I wasn't wise enough to know how to say I love you and goodbye.
I am grateful for the tender mercies of the Lord that make experiences like this possible. I am grateful for a testimony that he knows each of us, he understands the desires of our hearts and he will direct our paths for good.
Thursday, January 31, 2008
Pray for Baby Hazel
This is Hazel Jo Stewart. She is my newest niece and though I have never held her in my arms I love her more than I can express. She was born in September last year with Spina Bifida and has endured many surgeries and hospitalizations in her 5 short months on earth. She has three older sisters and the best parents any girl could ever ask for. She has an angel-like spirit (her Nickname "Baby Halo" is very fitting) and a strong determination to live!
Although she has overcome much, there are still many battles left for her to fight. Yesterday, Jen noticed that Hazel had a high fever and took her to the doctor. After preliminary tests they decided to hospitalize Hazel. In addition to a very high fever her lab work showed a very high white blood cell count.
This little girl needs our prayers! So if you believe in the power of prayer, please pray for Baby Hazel, for her incredible mom and dad, and for all those that are helping care for her big sisters.
0 comments:
Post a Comment