Physical benefits of dog companionship
Increase longevity after heart attacks. Dog ownership increases the odds for survival in persons who have had a heart attack from 1 in 15 to 1 in 87.
Lower cholesterol and triglycerides. People with pets have been found to have lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels when compared to people who did not have pets, even when matched for weight, diet, and smoking habits.
Decrease blood pressure and reduce stress. Studies of people undergoing stress tests or physical examinations have demonstrated that the presence of a dog lowered their heart rate and blood pressure during testing.
Emotional benefits of dog companionship
Be less anxious and feel more safe. Pet owners tend to feel less afraid of being a victim of crime when walking with a dog or having a dog in the home.
Relax and reduce everyday stress. Pets can help us relax and focus our attention away from our problems and worries.
Have physical contact. This ability to have something to touch and pet is very important. More and more studies show how important touch is to our physical and emotional health.
Lift our mood. Pets decrease our feelings of loneliness and isolation by providing companionship to all generations.
Feel less lonely. Pets can help ease the sense of loneliness or isolation we feel.
Have something to care for. Everyone needs to feel needed and have something to care for. Many elderly citizens or people living alone will tell you their pet gives them a reason for living.
Keep active. Having a pet can help us remain more active. We may not only get more exercise from walking a dog, but we also increase our activity through feeding, grooming, and otherwise caring for our pet.
Have consistency. Pets provide some consistency to our lives. Caring for a pet can significantly affect our routine and gives us something to do and look forward to each day.
Social benefits of dogs
Create a sense of closeness and well-being. Families surveyed before and after they acquired a pet reported feeling happier after adding a pet to the family.
Promote interaction. Residents in long-term care facilities were more likely to attend activity sessions when an animal was going to be present.
What is your take on dogs? Do you have one? What are the reasons you do or do not own a dog? Is it really worth the time, money, effort it takes to keep a dog healthy and happy? Come on now, I really need your help as I gather my last bit of "pro-dog" information for Robert!
Jen Stewart | August 11, 2008 at 5:02 PM
I so wish that I wanted a dog. I want to want one but I just know that it would be bad all around. I don't have that gene that makes you bond with animals. I'm not sure what that says about me but there it is.
Jim | August 11, 2008 at 10:54 PM
Sorry Lou...we had kids instead of dogs. Some how it seems to make more since and we still got those benefits you mentioned.
laura.elizabeth | August 12, 2008 at 1:40 AM
I agree with the kids and dogs thing but what if you want more kids but can't have them...isn't a dog the next best thing? In truth I think that is a big part of the reason I want a dog... because the reality is setting in that we aren't having any more kids. I don't know... somehow I think having a dog would help fill that void for me and for the boys. Am I totally off here?
Bonnie | August 12, 2008 at 9:52 AM
I think you know how I feel about it but let me just say that you should do it if:
You realize it will be you taking care of the dog and if you love shoveling poop, feeding watering, going to the vet, etc. The kids will love the dog but often the novelty wear off and then it is another thing to add to your list of things to do, take care, and look after.
Get one if you think you can walk away in 2 years leaving it with friends. Or you have a plan in the beginning to take it back with you to the US.
A pet can be great fun but a big responsibility and expense. It has to be because you want a dog and it cannot not be a substitute for a person, baby, etc. Some people tend to miss this but it is totally true. it will always be just a dog. I like the idea of having a pet but not the realities that always seem to come. They take a lot of time and energy for some people they bring a lot of joy too. It is strictly a personal preference.
MARE + 3= CRAZY!!! | August 12, 2008 at 1:49 PM
I never thought I would love a dog, but I found that I love our dog Cody just like he was one of my kids. I was worried about the work, the need to always let them out to potty, to walk them, to take them to the Dr. all that stuff. But if you love your dog then it will be just like the needs of your children. You will do it bc you love them. Yes they are alot of work, but so is anything you want to be a good experience. It does take time, but the relationship you can have with your dog is so rewarding. Our dog loves us so much & you can tell with the way he loves to be around us & they way he looks at us & responds with good behavior. I know we are lucky bc our dog is really a special dog, he is so mellow & so laid back. He is a chocolate lab, may I highly recommend the lab breed. He has been laid back bc we have been laid back, he is mellow bc he is used to the choas in our life & just goes with it. The kids love him, and walk him still.They have a relationship with him so the work that goes with having him is worth it bc they love him. He takes turns every night sleeping on the bed with each of our kids. He loves to be around us & we love him. Yes it's a BIG responsiblity & it does add an expense, but if your family is ready for the commitment of a dog, and you know just how much commitment it is going take I would highly highly say YES to being a dog owner. That's just my very long opinion/story on the subject. :)
Emily | August 12, 2008 at 2:44 PM
Hi Laura! We all miss you and hope you and your boys are all well. I feel the need to comment on the dog issue. I have always been a dog lover and have had at least one, and usually two, all my life. They have always been a sweet addition to our family and we do consider them to be a part of our family unit. They are also a HUGE responsibility and commitment. Whenever we leave our house, whether it's the grocery store or vacation, we must consider our dogs...how long will they be in their crates, should we leave the air conditioner/heat on, who will come to our house 3 times a day to let them out for awhile & feed them. Most of the time we take our dogs on vacation with us, which means finding dog friendly vacation rentals. Also, we have one little dog who has pancreatitis and requires special food and quite often requires a vet visit which can cost anywhere from $150 to $600.
Please understand we wouldn't change a thing because we love these little dogs...I just want to give you a little preview of some of the challenges you might face.
Our dogs have brought us unconditional love and healing over the years, again, they are a part of our family. I feel that if you can bring a pet into the home, love it, care for it, and bond with it then it would be heartbreaking for you to leave it behind in 2 years. It has always made sense to me to have pets for my kids but it never was just their responsibility, it was OUR responsibility. Over the years I have cleaned our pet mouse cage, kitty litter boxes & picked up dog poop off the lawn!
So there are my thoughts, I hope they're helpful. You are so sweet and loving and I know you just want to share more of yourself in this manner. I just want you to do it for all the right reasons and I know you will.
Much love to you,
Aunt Emily
laura.elizabeth | August 13, 2008 at 3:29 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments, I am glad to see both sides of the story.
I do know that having and caring for a dog is a huge responsibility and I plan for it to be a responsibly we share as a family. Of course, we have had enough pet owning experiences for me to know that the majority of the responsibility will be mine and that eventually the "novelty" with wear off. But I am okay with that because I know that people learn to love the things they sacrifice for. And that is exactly what I am looking for for my boys- something for them learn to love. The great thing about learning to love a dog is that they give so much back in return.
I don't know... I can see both side of the story- I really can. Our life is hard enough as it is- moving all the time. I know adding a dog to the mix will only make relocating more of a challenge but I really want to believe that it will be worth it.
If Robert wasn't opposed- I don't think it would be such a difficult decision- I think I am ready and willing to make the commitment. BUT he is opposed. And I really believe in order for our dog owning experience to be a good one for everyone- we have to be united in the decision.
laura.elizabeth | August 13, 2008 at 4:37 AM
Okay so... call me blonde but I wasn't sure what you thought about my wanting a dog because we can't have more kids.
Of course, I know a dog is not a person and can never replace one but... am I setting myself up to be disappointed thinking that having a dog would help fill that void for all of us?
And is it wrong for me to want a dog (since I actually CAN have one) when there are so many other things I want but can't have? I mean, I have always wanted to have a house, full of kids, on a nice piece of property, with a dog and chickens, near family, in a place that I love. Is it wrong for me to want the dog now since I can't have any of the others things I want right now? Is that selfish? Honestly... I don't know. Your thoughts please!
Anonymous | August 13, 2008 at 5:35 AM
Ok. I will chime in. First, what are Robert's reasons for not wanting a dog?
Second, your dog will love you unconditionally, which is so nice sometimes when you're having a bad day. I don't know if that takes the place of children, though. Certainly I feel like our dog is a member of our family. My husband is the one that wanted a dog, I didn't, mostly for all the reasons stated already...time and commitment, and we had a newborn at the time. My husband is the one who picked her out, and oddly enough, he didn't bond with her, but I did! So now I'm the one always taking up for her when he gets mad because she dug a hole or peed in the house.
I went through a period of time when I wanted more children as well. But my husband was opposed. He said he would miss our children as babies, but that he didn't want more babies. I was really disappointed. But now that my kids are getting older, I am finding that I really like the flexibility and the new things we are able to do together! Now they are old enough for me to bounce ideas off them and really have good conversations with them. Oh yes, I miss holding and rocking them like crazy! But it's a new chapter now. The two I have need my guidance and attention.
I don't think it's selfish of you to want something here and now, especially considering you are living in Naples! :-) We can't be near our familes, our husbands come and go, and lots of things we take for granted in the states are not readily available to us here. Every tiny thing takes more effort here...translating, converting, etc. It seems like living here really takes you out of your comfort zone, and maybe you are wanting some of that comfort back in your life right now.
I don't know if a pet will fill that void or not for you. But if you are willing to take on the responsibility, then maybe that's a new chapter in your life...pet ownership. Consider all types of dogs and their temperments and their sizes. The bigger they are, the more exercise they need.
I think you and the boys would be great "parents" for a pet. And maybe it would give you something to focus on besides things you can't have.
Anonymous | August 13, 2008 at 8:47 AM
Ok - I feel that I am needing to say something here but the words aren't coming to my mind so I hope that what I type makes sense.
I think the decision to have a dog is a HUGE responsibilty. Living in Italy has it's increased kennel costs. I would love to just get up and go some weekends but we always have to schedule kennel time first. Yes, I know, you can always ask a friend or neighbor to watch your dog for you, but for us, we use the kennel.
As our time here in Italy ends I am getting more and more nervous about the stories I am hearing about getting your dog back home with you. There is a new test that your dog has to have before you leave and the base vet does not perform this test, you have to get a dog passport, dogs get bumped from the MAC flights because they overbook, your dog cannot fly when the temperature is over a certain degree......etc.
I can guess by now that you can see what side I am on.
Joshua has taken on a lot of the resposibility of taking care of our dog. He gives her food and water, he vacuums downstairs (she sheds quite a bit on the carpet)and cleans up the yard after her. Having that responsibility has been great for him.
There are so many good things and so many bad things about having a dog. I am quite sure that everyone that does have a dog has their own reasons for doing so.
For every reason to have a dog or to not have a dog can be rationalized. I have not been a dog (or any animal for that matter) person my whole life so having a dog has not changed that. I will say that I do not believe, for me, that our dog has taken the place of not having more children. We cannot have any more children and that does not make me want another dog...or the one I have for that matter. However, if I thought that something could take that place I would absolutely, positively want it and want it NOW!!!!
Lanette - Never Give Up! | August 13, 2008 at 9:15 AM
I don't do animals...the boys will probably all have pets as adults, which is great! We have experience with dog sitting and it's all on me - the food, the cleaning etc. I grew up with dogs and hated the eyes on you whenever you eat, the poo, the licking...
I think you're either a dog person or you're not and I'm not. In my personal "shrink" mode I think it might be because I saw my pet kitty run over by a car when I was a little girl and I still remember how painful that was.
I don't feel bad about not giving my kids a pet - they can have one when they're grown and their wives can feed it, clean up after it etc.
Jim and Liz love their doggie, Mac. He has been a great help to them as they wait and wait for their babies to come....
Gail Victoria | August 14, 2008 at 7:45 PM
Dog and Cat owner here!
If you want a dog because you like dogs get one! You know all about all that having a pet entails - responsiblity for their wellfare etcetera. You are bright and always do your research. But it is my personal opinion (is there any other kind)that it would be a mistake to get a dog because you want another child.
They are definitely not the same. If you get a dog that bites people it is ok to find it a new home - not so with a child!)
I think two of the most important aspects in owning a dog is one: get a breed that matches your family (i.e. don't get a dog that you can't train to not run off when off leash - iiee: Beagles or any "scent" dog that follows it's nose, because you will be following it all over trying to get it back!) and , two, make sure that you treat the dog like a dog and not a human. Dogs don't do human well and you won't like the results of a dog that you have trained to be alpha in your home. It isn't fun for anyone - even the dog.
However, if you want a dog to love and have fun with you will be rewarded beyond your expectations. They are always ALWAYS glad to see you and they do such funny things. My dog smiles...yes she does! She puffs out her upper lip and grins with her teeth. Makes me laugh.
But you have to be prepared for the other notably disgusting things your dog will do - licking their privates, pooping - eating other animals poop, throwing up, eating that, coming in the house and rubbing their butt on the carpet - they can be incredibly disgusting - probably why they are considered to be ANIMALS!
If you can live with all that and think that you would like a dog that follows you in the yard, plays fetch, looks at your hotdog with longing, loves to go riding in the car and takes a nap with you anytime you feel the need, a dog is a "good thing" (as Martha would say).
Watch the movie My Dog Skip and then think about it.
Just remember Dogs are NOT human and you and any other human are Alpha to that dog and life should be great!
By the way, you didn't say what kind of dog needed a home?
I will say this, I do feel safer with Maggie here. When I hear a noise I just let her outside and she does her thing. When you are alone it is encouraging to know that your dog will always let you know if something is amiss.
Anyway Dear Laura - I know you will come to the best decision for your family. I love you!
Aunt Gail
laura.elizabeth | August 15, 2008 at 2:05 AM
Again, thanks everyone for your comments. I really appreciate your honest and heartfelt answers. You have brought up important things for me to consider personally (why I REALLY want a dog anyway and what my expectations are) and lots of things for Robert and I discuss together. The bottom line is... I do want a dog because I like dogs but we will have to make our decision based on what is best for the WHOLE family. Thanks everyone...we will keep you posted!
laura.elizabeth | August 15, 2008 at 2:13 AM
Alright Folks, I know you are waiting and wondering what we had decided to do about Coco (the little dog who needs a home). Well, the answer is we haven't decided yet. Why? Because I haven't seen Robert since I made my first dog post. We are supposed to go on vacation next week- if all goes well we should have some time to think about and discuss it then. But I can't promise we will have made a decision- we are not known for making important decisions quickly. Coco's owner is moving at the end of September so we have a little time. Of course, we will let you know what we decide.
Jim | August 15, 2008 at 11:20 PM
Realizing that parakeets and gold fish don't fell the same need as man's best friend maybe you just need to be thoughtful in picking a good tempered, low maintenance dog and just do it. Maybe grandma Jo and Uncle Steve know something I don't. And I agree with you, that I know that you know dogs and kids are not the same... dogs are eraser to raise!!
Good debate though.
Loving you and all the Wadsworths,
Love, Dad