The June Cleaver in Me

One of the great things about living in a foreign country is that when you turn on the TV everything is... well, foreign. Since I'm not really into TV it works for me but the boys don't like it much. So a few months ago we started looking on-line for some good TV sitcom DVD collections for the boys to watch. Among the thousands (literally, T-H-O-U-S-A-N-D-S) of options available Robert and I decided to get the first season of Leave it to Beaver.

If you haven't seen Leave it to Beaver in a while- it worth revisiting. I will admit it is a little bit on the cheesy side but it is funny and clean and totally... boy! I have to confess that I love that the boys like it. I love hearing Spencer say "Ah, gee Mom" when I ask him to do something he dosen't want to do and hearing Ross tell me everything is "swell" when I ask him how his day was. I even enjoy watching a episode or two with Spencer and Ross on occasion. But the thing that I really like about Leave it to Beaver is watching June Cleaver in her role as wife and mother.

I don't know about you but I grew up thinking June Cleaver (as the embodiment of the female stay at home mom stereotype) was laughable. Not only did I think she was impractically perfect- I was offended that the media thought stay at home moms should be! I thought the sole purpose of her existence was to make normal women (who clean the house in ratty sweats and occasionally yell at their kids) feel inadequate. Never in my young adult imagination did I ever considered June Cleaver a role model in anyway... but that was before. Having watched her in action recently I have changed my tune.


Here is what I have noticed about June Cleaver. She is patient and kind with her children. She is loving toward her husband. She is witty and spontaneous (in a very traditional sort of way). She is intelligent (though a little too easily tricked by her boys at times). She expects a lot from the people she loves but never turns her back on them when the don't measure up. June Cleaver is perfectly content in her role as a wife and mother. She is never bitter or resentful that her stay at home life style is keeping her from getting the job she always wanted or spending more time with her friends. Her house is spotlessly clean, her yard perfectly manicured, her appearance immaculate. She has snacks ready and waiting when her boys get home from school and dinner on the table every night when her husband gets home from work. I mean seriously- isn't that what every woman wants? To be perfectly capable and fulfilled in their role as a woman? To feel as put together and on top of life as June appears to be? I don't know about you but that certainly sounds good to me.


So I've decided to spend some time finding the June Cleaver in me. I know she is in there somewhere- that beautiful, content, fulfilled woman I've always wanted to be. I'll let you know when I find her.

4 comments:

  • Bonnie | January 12, 2009 at 9:20 AM

    This is a great post, Laura! What a fun idea t let the boys watch this and I love the comparisons you have made. Maybe June wasn't such a weirdo after all.

    What I liked about old TV was it would take a role and idealize it somewhat but placed people above the norm instead of below it.Everything is upside down now.

    You would probably like, Ozzie and Harriet, My three Sons, Father Knows Bet, and Our Miss Brooks too.

    Go To my friend Deanna's Blog on my blogroll called Timeless Treasures. She has all kinds of great old radio shows on there and I am sure you and the boys would enjoy listening to old time radio too. Our Miss Brooks and Ozzie and Harriet are among her treasures. Anyway again, great post. Might have to be knicking it later to share with my older readers who will totally remember all these things so well.

    Incidentally, I learned something lasting from this show as well. My Dad loved this show and it was usually on during dinner at my house growing up. It taught me that TV has no place during dinner~people can't really talk to each other during a TV show.

  • Suebee | January 12, 2009 at 10:06 AM

    Growing up my two best guy friends refered to my mom and dad as June and Ward. My mom thought they were making fun of her, but they very sweetly and respectfully told her that in their opinion no child could ask for more than a mom who was always there for that child. They hadn't ever been teasing, they had just wished for a mom like her.

  • Jim | January 12, 2009 at 11:00 PM

    So...we know who June and Ward are in the Wadsworth's home...but do Spence and Ross line up behind Wallie and The Beave...some how I think they do! Hey wait...you guys ARE the Cleavers now that I think about it and yes, they could make a TV show about some of the things your "boys" do!

    You are a great wife and mother Lou...June could take lessons from you!

    Hoping all is well...
    Love, Dad

  • Anonymous | January 16, 2009 at 11:18 AM

    That is a GREAT post. We, too, starting watching Leave It to Beaver with Joshua a couple of weeks ago. When we were describing the show to him he asks...But who's the bad guy?

    We love the show and never fails to start a conversation.

    As for June Cleaver....I would be depressed if I tried to compare myself.