A Little Bit Longer

It is 7:00 pm on Friday night and I should be sitting in the theater right now with my friends getting ready to see Twilight BUT... I am not! I am at home in my PJ's writing this post instead. Let me explain.

This afternoon I got a call from the Nurse at school about Spencer (always a scary thing for me)! Fortunately, he was not sick with allergies... just the flu. My relief ( that he was not having a reaction) was instantly replaced with oh, no it is Friday. You can be sick any day but today! When I got to school Spencer was looking tired and pale but he did not have a fever and he was not sick to his stomach, there is still hope for tonight I thought. I got him home, gave him toast and soda, tucked him in bed and went about my business. An hour or so later he came down stairs colorful and talkative (the surest sign that he was feeling better) and I felt a surge of hope that my movie night my materialize after all. Spencer continued to look and feel better for several hours. (Phew, it was only the 24 minute flu- how lucky am I?) so we proceeded with the evening as planned- a sleep over for the boys and Twilight for me. At 5:00 pm I started getting the boys ready for their night. Spencer had fallen asleep listening to a CD in his room so I started with Ross- dinner, shower, meds, teeth, Pj's. Once he was done I went up stairs to get Spencer and that is when things really got bad. The minute his eyes were open, he was sick- poor kid. He sat next to the toilet pale and feverish crying because he felt so sick. One look at him and I knew the movie was going to have to wait. But that is okay because today I heard the most amazing song. It really touched my heart and taught me an important lesson. These are the words that touched me most.

If there were no more tomorrows.
If I knew that I could not stay.

I know how I'd spend every minute-
if I only had today.


I'd hold you and listen
and I'd let the dishes sit in the sink.

I'd tell you I loved you over and over.
For once I'd just let the phone ring.


And I'd remind you of forever
and how our love would never change

If I only had a today.

So, that is what I did. I took my little boy (well, he is not so little anymore) and held him and told him I loved him. I told him how lucky I was to be his mom and how happy I was that we would be together forever. And you know what? That was better than going to the movies.

Will I still see Twilight? You bet! But until Spencer is better and life permitts I will just have to try and enjoy the anticipation a little bit longer.

4 comments:

  • Suebee | January 9, 2009 at 8:18 PM

    That is beautiful. Thank you for helping to put our work into perspective. My Spencer was home from school sick today too. I thought he was getting better and Jay and I were going to get to go on a date, but as we were getting ready to go over to my parent's to drop off the children I took his temp and it was 103. No date, but we watched TV together as a family.

  • Bonnie | January 10, 2009 at 2:22 AM

    This is one reason why I am so happy that you are the mother of our little grandsons, Honey. I hope the movie is twice as sweet for you because of your sacrifices. Our love and best wishes for a speedy recovery to Spencie.

    I did not read the books but I did see the movie with, Jen, Missy, Traci, Vanessa,Sally and Krissy. I found it odd but enjoyable. Skip Seven Pounds...really lame!

  • Anonymous | January 10, 2009 at 9:40 AM

    Our babysitter Erin says she was disappointed...nothing like the books!! Sounds like you didn't miss much. But if you still want to go and see it later, I'll go with you.

  • Anonymous | January 11, 2009 at 1:28 PM

    I was so worried about you not getting to go. You were so looking forward to it and you made the treat bags for the girls and tickets envelopes. I was imagining you crying yourself to sleep. I should have known that you would turn it around and see the bright side of things.