Spencer

I know, I know- it is supposed to be wordless Wednesday but I just couldn't help myself.

Spencer is celebrating his tenth birthday in just a few days and I really can't believe it! I am so grateful to have this little boy in my life. He is such a good kid- so loving and thoughtful and kind. Oh, he can't be a stinker, don't get me wrong but he really is a tenderhearted child... and I love that!

Shortly after Robert and I were married I was called to serve in the Young Women's organization in our Ward. It was a fun calling becasue I wasn't much oldder than the girls I was teaching. I remember one Mother's day I was asked to give the combined lesson in Young Women's on Motherhood. I thought that was strange since I was the only member of the Presidency who was NOT a mom. But I did it and I am here to tell you that that assignment changed everything.

At that point in my life I had a plan: finish school, work for a few years, buy a house, settle down, start a family. It was a nice, neat, totally organized plan. It was what I had always imagined would happen. BUT I gave the lesson and in preparing for it my heart was softened. I knew with out a doubt that God had something different in mind for me. Not that my plan was bad but that His plan was better. When I gave the lesson that Mother's Day I sobbed the whole way through- I don't think the girls got a thing from it but when I was done I knew that I needed prepare myself to be a mom a lot sooner than I had originally anticipated.

Exactly one year and one day later on May 11th 1999 Spencer was born! What a blessing!!

I have often wondered over the years, did it really matter that he was born when he was? Would it really have made a difference if I had followed my plan and waited a few more years to have children? Well, I guess time has answered that question for me- for variuous reasons over the the last 4 1/2 years we have not been able to have another baby. You see, if I had waited like I had planned I might not ever have known the joy of Motherhood. I might have missed the opperutnity to raise Spencer and Ross. I guess God knows what he is doing afterall.

Anyway, I am grateful for this little boy in my life. I know he is here in our family, right now for a reason. I know that he has something speical to give and something important to learn. I am grateful to be a part of helping him become who God needs him to be. Being his momis a great joy and a blessing!

3 comments:

  • mandy* | May 6, 2009 at 10:55 AM

    Spence is going to be ten?!?? I can't believe it! You are an amazing mother to two great boys.

  • RaYnA | May 6, 2009 at 12:34 PM

    I love all of the updated posts. Keep up the good work.

  • Bonnie | May 8, 2009 at 9:09 AM

    I love all these Tuscan photos! I totally agree with you that you met and married and had babies early for a reason. I ma so very thankful for Spencer and Ross and for all the joy they have brought to the earth and our hearts.

    I hope you can and do have more but I am praising God daily for the wonderful boys you do have. I ma thinking of th day Spencer was born..the happiness, the trauma, all the babies in the hospital that day. It seems like only yesterday and yet we have had him forever. It is a paradox for sure this thing we call time. Be happy in God's plan for you and Robert and your family~it is a good one!