Lessons from the Cosby Show

Last night the boys and I eat dinner and got ready for bed early so we could watch an Episode of the Cosby Show. I have mentioned in previous posts that we are always on the look out for quality entertainment that both parent and child can enjoy and I must say the Cosby Show fits the bill. It is hilarious!

In any case, we were watching an episode where the Cosby's teenage son Theo comes home with five D's on his report card. (the subject had Spencer's full attention) After receiving a big lecture on the need for being careful and planning for the future (something Spencer hears from me on a daily basis), Theo gives this great soliloquy (do those even exist in sit-coms?) about wanting to be loved for who he is and for doing his very best; even when his best doesn't measure up. It was a rather moving moment, and it was follow by a big pause. In which Spencer declare with enthusiasm, "That was a great speech! I am going to use it from now on with you Mom."

I was about to make some smart remark but Bill Cosby beat me to it. He said, "Son... that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard!" It was a funny line and of course, it was perfectly delivered. But the funniest part (the part that still makes me chuckle) was the look on Spencer's face when the words registered in his brain. He was shocked, yet he saw the humor in it and laughed out loud.

Anyway, Spencer may have a new speech for me but I've got a great retort. And I have discovered it is applicable to other circumstances with a similar effect! Oh, the lessons we learn when we watch the Cosby Show!

2 comments:

  • utahfamily | January 22, 2010 at 3:03 AM

    What perfect timing for a great lesson. I too love the Cosby Show. We have all 6 or 7 seasons at home and I can't wait to get home and see them again and again. The show helps to remind me that being a good parent is not always easy and not always popular with the kids. But Bill Cosby has a way of telling it like it is.

  • mandy* | January 22, 2010 at 2:54 PM

    Oh my goodness, I LOVE that show!! They had the best responses for their kids... Maybe I should start watching that show as preparation for parenting older children.