Trash All Over Naples

For the last 10 months or so I have tried really hard not to mention much about the trash problem we have here in Naples- I figured that 1. talking about it won't make make the problem go away 2. It makes me mad (sad, frustrated, disguised etc.) every time I think about it and 3. you simply can not comprehend how bad it is until you have experienced. However... yesterday on our way to Carney Park we passed a section of road lined with garbage- it was rather stinky so I said to the boys, "Hey guys can you smell that stinky Naples air?" Spencer said, "Yeah Mom- its gross!" then he starts singing a "song" that he made up about the garbage. I didn't know if I should laugh or cry that he had noticed the problem enough to make up a song about it but I promised him I would blog about it anyway, so here it is!

Trash, Trash all over Naples,
Trash Trash all over Naples.
On the sidewalks, on the street,
Always under my two feet!
On the mountains, on the cars,
All the way from earth to mars!
You can find it everywhere
except in garbage cans!


(This is a picture of Spencer by the trash pile in front of our house. Believe it or not we live in one of the areas that is better about trash pick up than most! Scary, hu?)

Clearly Spencer has given the trash issues here a lot of thought!

5 comments:

  • V and Co. | July 11, 2008 at 11:01 AM

    oh my heavens! what the heck? so do they just not do trash pick-up days or what? that's too bad!!!

  • Sarah | July 11, 2008 at 11:34 AM

    Laura,
    I can smell that picture from here....woooowwweee!
    I actually gave some cookies to our garbage collector when we got home. Everyone thought I was crazy but you just don't understand until you have lived in a place like that. James still talks about the trash everywhere in Italy.
    ps. is Alessandro all right? Send me an email when you have a moment.

  • Sara | July 11, 2008 at 3:14 PM

    Oh my that is horrible! At the beginning of your blog I was thinking loose trash in the streets....not hundreds of bags of trash!

  • Jim | July 11, 2008 at 3:17 PM

    Trash Days???!!! One would think that picking up or dumping the trash your self would be simple...but truly it is not. The corruption in Sothern Italy is beyoud understanding. I have seen it first hand and it is all Laura says.
    Hey...did I take that picture. if not I took one just like it.
    Love to all the Wadsworths.
    Love, Dad

  • Anonymous | July 13, 2008 at 5:43 AM

    We too are saddened by the state of the garbage around. At first we were so upset by it all too. But after living here a while we realized how the people really have no control over it due to the governmental corruption. But it does make us fearful for our health. My husband really doesn't want us to shop for food on the local economy, just because you never know....run off issues, "fertilizer" stories we've heard, etc. Naples has the potential to be such a beautiful and wonderful place, and it's sad that the people in charge can't see that.