Blowing My Nose

I am sorry to say so friends but sadly it is true I am about to write about my bodily functions. So if that is too intimate a subject for you... you can stop reading now and I will understand.

Okay here is the deal... before I moved to Italy I had blown my nose a grand total of about 7 times my whole life. I don't know why but I just never needed to. I mean, occasionally I would catch a cold that required it but for the most part I lived quite happily without a tissue box by my side. BUT (and this is the reason for this post) that is no longer the case. NOW I have to blow my nose EVERYDAY- SOMETIMES TWICE!!

What is up with that? I remember my Dad blowing his nose often when I was growing up but I just that it was a "Dad thing". Now I find myself doing the same thing and it really has me perplexed. Is this nose blowing madness a "Mattson thing", a "Naples thing", (gulp) "older person thing"?

The worst part about it is that it has gotten so out of hand I am actually contemplating buying a box of tissues for each room of the house!!! I know, I know it is crazy! But don't worry mom- I will refrain.

6 comments:

  • Bonnie | August 5, 2009 at 12:11 AM

    It is not an old person thing...so I don't know. Probably the pollution there.

    But the biggest and best news is you are refraining from buying one of those ugly square boxes of Kleensx for every room in the house.

    For your readers...Laura and I use to do a lot of staging of homes together and it became a standing joke for us that every ugly house has a least one box of square, with a floral designed and pop-up Kleenex in it. The really bad ones were covered with a crocheted cover...{{shudder.}} It became our quest to find it and we always did! That is the company to have stock in, folks! And if you have to buy the Kleenex...hide it in a drawer or under a sink or something! A square cardboard box with flowers does not a decorative accessory make!

    Good one Lou Lou! ♥ it!

  • RaYnA | August 6, 2009 at 4:15 PM

    HAAAAAA! I think this is so funny. I totally understand. I think that is why the African men all sell tissue.

    I will not get over this. So funny!

  • mandy* | August 7, 2009 at 3:35 PM

    Whenever I hear someone blow their nose, I ALWAYS think of your dad. His nose blowing noise is the best!

  • Jen Stewart | August 9, 2009 at 4:00 PM

    Hey Bean-I wanted to comment on this earlier but I can't comment on my phone and I am inventing a whole new level of lazy. I am now too lazy to go to the computer to look at blogs. I know...scary!

    Sooo sorry about your car and trip but it sounds like you feel ok about it. Just think "November".

    So on the nose blowing: I think it must be a Mattson thing because I do it too. I thought it was a Utah thing with the dry air and whatnot but I totally have the Mattson trumpet going on. I kind of hate it but I can't NOT blow the nose. It must be done. I hate to also mention that it's gotten worse over the years. I'm up to like 4 or 5 nose-blows a day. Sorry--I think we're Mattson thru and thru. What's a girl to do?

  • Jen Stewart | August 9, 2009 at 4:01 PM

    PS go for the tissues. I have 2 in my car and multiples around the house. It's helpful.

  • laura.elizabeth | August 10, 2009 at 6:31 AM

    Jen- I am laughing out loud. Shoot- I knew there was more to it. I am so not looking forward to the 4 and 5 times a day years but I guess I will just have to cope.