Another One Bites the Dust!

Did you ever say that when you were a kid, "another one bites the dust"? I have no idea where it came from but we used to say it all the time. Anyway, when we got the news that our car was beyond repair and would need to be scrapped, it was the first thing I thought- shoot another Wadsworth car bites the dust! Seriously, what is our problem? We have the worst car luck on the planet!

SO... we in the car buying market again- AARRGGG! Now for some people buying a new car is an exciting thing but for us it is torture. Robert and I have such completely opposite opinions about cars it would be comical if it wasn't so darn obnoxious. I like foreign cars. Robert prefers American made. I like small cars. He likes big cars. I like red. He wants blue. More than any of that though our ideas about reliability, quality, cost, etc. are like night and day!

My favorite example of our car buying incapability happened several years ago. Robert was in an accident and totaled our 1999 Honda Accord. We agreed that we would only use the money we got from the insurance company to replace it. For weeks and weeks and weeks we researched, looked at, test drove cars- hundreds of them. My favorite option was a new VW Beetle. It was so cute- tiny and black and super shiny. I loved it! Robert's first choice was a 1982 Cadillac boat car. It was the hugest, ugliest thing I had ever seen. I was appalled. I thought for sure he was kidding but he was dead serious- it really was the car he wanted. Anyway, we teased about our differences at first but after awhile we both got tired and just stopped talking about it altogether. After 3 months with only one car we realized that a decision had to be made. So one night we went looking. We saw a Ford Explorer from across the lot. Robert said, "Hey would you drive that Explorer?" I said, "Yeah, I guess". He said "Okay, done!" And that was that- we bought the car that night.

Recent car buying experiences (and there have been several since then) have been similar and the very idea of having to go through it all again is painful. But we will do what needs to be done and I am hoping that in the end everything will work out right. Now lest I sound down on Robert I must say that he is a fantastic husband! I adore him and we get along really well. In fact the only things we don't agree on are cars and pets- so I guess I better stop feeling sorry for myself and remember that I really am blessed.

For Your Viewing Pleasure here are pictures of the 7 cars we have owned in our 11 years of marriage.

1995 Toyota Celica
1999 Honda Accord
1993 Dodge Caravan
1995 Ford Explorer
2005 Dodge Caravan1993 Lancia Thema2008 Honda Pilot

2 comments: