Last weekend my good friend and neighbor (and exercise partner and blogging buddy and mani / pedi companion and much much more) Stephanie moved back to the States! Of course, I was delighted that she was moving back near her family and that her husband got the job he wanted and that the kids will be in a good school and she will have all of the comforts and conveniences of US living BUT I have been feeling extremely sorry for myself ever since she left! Not only because I will miss her dearly but because I realized as I dropped her off at the airport on Saturday that she is the first of
many good friends that will be moving this summer. And because her moving has stirred up in me the bitter sweet goodbyes I have had to say to family and friends countless times over the last 11 years. You would think I would be good at saying goodbye after so many years as a military wife but... I am not! In fact the goodbyes to come over the next few months have got me really concerned. I am really not sure how I will cope in Italy without all of the wonderful people I have met who have made living here enjoyable. (sigh)
Anyway, after dropping Stephanie off and feeling sorry for myself I thought,
Wow, I am so not good at saying goodbye I should never do that again. But then this amazing thought entered my mind and brought me so much peace.
No, I thought
I want to do it again! In fact, I want to be the one that takes all of my friends to the airport this summer. I want to be there to say goodbye to every last friend that moves because I don't want single one of them to leave without knowing that I love them and that my life is better because of their friendship.So... it is with optimism (that I will make it through alone) and resolution that I declare myself the official Naples Airport Taxi Service! Call now for reservations- seats are going fast!! I guess this really is the beginning of many heartfelt goodbyes for me this year but for the first time in a long time, I am okay with that.

Now if I could just figure out a way to get a cute orange bug like that for the business!
MARE + 3= CRAZY!!! | March 9, 2009 at 11:59 AM
Ah Laura I feel your pain. I am sure it is a little harder or alot harder for you since you are in a foreign country & really away from family. I can sympathize with you on this one. I have already said good bye to my parents once last month. They are here now for a visit & to get their house finished up bc it has sold. Before that I had to say good bye to my sister Krissy & her family as they have moved to Id. Then my sister Deanna & her hubby as they have moved to Utah. Now again the end of this month my sister Caryn & my mom & dad will be leaving again to go back to Id. I will be saying good bye to my brother Johnny & his family in May when they move to Id. Then it will be little (well not so little) old me by myself here in Ca. while they are all there together without me. Talk about a MAJOR PITY PARTY!! I have no idea when & if we will be able to join them. Stinkin grown up life with jobs & bills!! :(
Anyways I just had to smile a tad & then sob a little when I read this. Not that it makes it better but it made me feel a little better knowing some one so strong is going through this too. :) Cheer up my dear! You are in fact living in Italy. Even though things are different some bad some good, you're in a place that most only dream about ever getting to visit.
Take care!! :) Marianne :)
Bonnie | March 9, 2009 at 11:19 PM
My little Lou-Lou,
I also hate good-buys. You are a better person than me for offering yourself up as Tearful-Taxi-Huger-Guy
I have wondered how you have handled so many good-buys. I think that knowing...when one door closes an other door opens...is helpful. You all have had some amazing experiences and friendships. Enough to write a book I suppose...hey what a great idea.
I miss you and All the Wadsworths. My love to all,
Love,Dad
Bonnie | March 10, 2009 at 10:10 AM
As you can see that last comment was actually from your Dad. This happens when i go on his computer and forget to change it back to him instead of me. Bummer.
Anyway, how sweet of you to taxi friends to the airport. This good-bye thing is never easy when you truly love someone. I am sorry that Stephanie has moved, Honey.
I wish we could all just magically get from place to place at will with no hassles and no airfares to consider.
I guess the flip side to saying all the good-byes attached to military life is the opportunity to meet so many new and difference people as you go from place to place. Every cloud has its silver lining if we search for it.
Love, Mom
P.S. Kristi Hastings-Oliver is marrying her long time boyfriend, John, this weekend. Have reconnected with most of the old staff through Facebook. Everyone says Hi!
Anonymous | March 10, 2009 at 11:14 PM
I am sobbing reading your post! I miss you guys so much! Yes, I'm with my family, but I keep thinking, "Oh, Laura would like this", or "I wonder what Laura would do?" Especially since we've been looking at houses and you are so creative in that arena! I have been thinking of you constantly! I really miss you!!! To console myself, I keep saying that if I have to leave friends behind, this is the best time in history to do so. I can keep up with you through email and blogging...no pony express and months of waiting to hear how you guys are doing. So please....use your technology!! Keep in touch!! I really miss talking to you already!