Just before school ended Ross's class had a special activity called "Books for Breakfast". Parents where invited into the classroom to read the books and journals their children had written through out the year. It was really fun and of course, Ross's writings were hilarious. One of his journal entries, though it made me laugh at first, has really made me think. He wrote, "I REALLY want a Wii but my Mom will never, never, never, never, never (never was written at least twenty times) let me have one!!"
It is true, I don't plan on ever getting a Wii or any game system for that matter and I guess the kids have learned that no amount of fussing for one is going to make a difference. But really is that so bad? I mean part of me thinks it is great that they are finally getting used to the idea. BUT... there is another part of me that feels like the big bad monster mom because "we are the ONLY people on the planet without a Wii." I mean, am I depriving my kids of some essential childhood joy but not letting them have a one?
You may be wondering, like my kids do, what I have against the Wii. The truth is I don't have anything against the Wii. In fact, I think it is incredibly cool. I just don't want one in my house. Is that so wrong!?! Is it possible to be a kind, loving parent and not have one? (sigh) What is a woman to do?
So... do you have a Wii or other game system? Are you glad you have one (or two or three)? What do you like about the one you have? What do you not like about it? How do you feel it affects your family?
My Journal of Thanks
- I am thanksful for vacations days- when the boys are home and we can sleep in and snuggle and play all day.
My Favorite Things
- Super Sparkly Christmas Decor!
My Miss List
- I miss having someone to talk to.
My Favorite Links
My Blog List
-
-
-
-
CYBERweek 20187 years ago
-
Authentic French Living8 years ago
-
-
Getting into the swing of things...10 years ago
-
Oakwood Basketball 2015-201610 years ago
-
Goodbye Animals10 years ago
-
-
The Big Chicken Experiment12 years ago
-
Music & Catnip13 years ago
-
Summer JOY14 years ago
-
FUN RUN14 years ago
-
Eye Candy For the Home!14 years ago
-
Look who is 4!!15 years ago
-
Holidays are here!15 years ago
-
I am Thankful15 years ago
-
New Christmas Soap!15 years ago
-
-
-
-
Powered by WordPress
©
My Moment in Time - Designed by Matt, Blogger templates by Blog and Web.
Powered by Blogger.
Powered by Blogger.

Campbell Clan | June 23, 2009 at 2:29 AM
Laura,
You are not a big bad monster mom. We didn't get a game system in our house until Abram was 12 years old and he is now 17. Doug said I was the one that caved. I would have never gotten a system in the house with our older boys because I know it would have been a battle with them on it all the time and breaking the rules. The younger boys, Clark, Abram, and Regan were pretty good about following the time limit rules. Now it's just another toy in the house collecting dust and rarely gets played. So don't feel bad if they keep telling you they are the only ones that don't have one, because I know there are others out there that don't either. If you cave, it's another thing on your list to contend with them about. Who needs that? I think while there young they learn to play, I mean really play and be creative without a game system in the house. My boys maybe quiet, but when they were younger they were so creative in their playing and loved reading. We didn't let them watch TV either. Only movies were allowed and that was on special occasions. Hope this helps. Tish
Bonnie | June 23, 2009 at 10:41 AM
Laura, it ill not surprise you to know that I feel exactly like you do on this. As you know when you kids were growing up we ah similar rules that no one else seemed to be reinforcing in their homes like, no TV, no Barbies, no guns or other weapons. I don't think this did anything but help you grow up to be better people. I especially liked both you and Jen's take on modesty which I think may have been in part by not playing with those dolls that depicted values we did not agree with.
This is not saying the things themselves are bad but that it is just something that , as you said, you don't want in your house. You know your boys, their habits, their likes and dislikes, the way they operate. This is your own stewardship to exercise as you see fit. I agree wholeheartedly with Tish as well.
We can never let the culture dictate to us what is right for our home and family. If we did we be in the same boat as the majority of the world and look where that has put things. No thanks! You go girl you are ding an awesome job with the boys! They will survive and they can visit friends to have an occasional wii experience.
Sara | June 23, 2009 at 7:11 PM
I don't think you are a monster! My mom never let my sister or I have a game system in the house either...oh wait we did get a hand me down Atari that lasted about a month before it broke. However, my sister never got up from it except to eat or sleep. When it broke my mom swore we would never have a game system again. I feel it was a blessing not to have one, because as kids we played outside all day, used our imaginations, and when it was raining we read...a lot! I personally have mixed feelings because I want a Wii and the original Nintendo with Mario Brothers and Tetris. I also see all my friends that have them and how much personal/family time they consume. They call it bonding when father and son are staring at the tv playing video games and not talking to each other. I don't think I will have one in my house when I have a family either. So that is my two cents!
Bonnie | June 24, 2009 at 8:30 AM
I am making a commitment to proof read my comments better. Sorry for the typing mistakes above. Sorry you could not get your videos to work. Do you need to download an upgrade to your player maybe? Love you, Ma!
RaYnA | June 25, 2009 at 4:43 AM
Hey Laura,
Growing up my family did not have any type of gaming system, and I never felt left out and now I know I am better for it. My parents had us do things like play outside or with actual toys. My brothers and I are all alot closer to eachother than other families we know who had a gaming system. Plus, you can never tire of legos or other toys, but once you beat a game, they want a new one.
I agree with you. No game system in the house. But, I do have to say, this is something Evan and I do not agree on. His family grew up with the best gaming systems around.
RaYnA | June 25, 2009 at 4:43 AM
Hey Laura,
Growing up my family did not have any type of gaming system, and I never felt left out and now I know I am better for it. My parents had us do things like play outside or with actual toys. My brothers and I are all alot closer to eachother than other families we know who had a gaming system. Plus, you can never tire of legos or other toys, but once you beat a game, they want a new one.
I agree with you. No game system in the house. But, I do have to say, this is something Evan and I do not agree on. His family grew up with the best gaming systems around.
Jim | June 25, 2009 at 10:46 PM
I did not have one either.
Signed,
The Uni-Bomber
Just kidding...OK ...bad taste...
Think about this:
1. We did not have a TV yet you guys knew enough about "pop-culture" to fit in. So will they.
2. What would they have to give up to fit in something that demands so much of your time and attention.
3. Knowing your boys they would like it a lot...to much!
4. If virtual "Bike Ride" is fun imagine what real bike riding must be like.\
5. What real life skill did Spencer miss because he was not have home (bedroom) access to the "Dungeon n' Dragon" games?
Robert and Laura we support you!
I love you ALL.
Love, Dad
Anonymous | June 27, 2009 at 10:50 AM
Well, coming from someone who has a Wii in the house......I think that it depends on how your children currently deal with boundaries. Joshua has not had his Wii in about 3 weeks (it isn't hooked up yet) and he has not complained once about not having it. When we were in Italy he respected the limits put on the Wii and that has made the whole thing OK for us. It is just another thing for him to do. We have to put "screen time" limits.....TV, computer, Wii, DS...whatever has a screen. So, if we say he can have 30 minutes of screen time then he can choose what screen(s) he weants to use. Anyway, I get it when people choose not to have a Wii..or DS...or wahtever the thing is...in their home, but for us, it works.
mandy* | June 28, 2009 at 6:20 PM
We don't have a Wii. In fact, I don't think we will ever get one. If we did, it would be all we would ever do. Besides we get our fill when we go to my mom's house or my in-law's house.
Rene'e | June 29, 2009 at 12:20 AM
Hi Laura,
We never had any game system until we got the wii, only because I hate the way the other game systems make you "zone-out" while playing. BUT in my opinion the wii doesn't do that, it actually does the opposite. My kids interact a ton WITH each other while playing the wii. Most games require them to be off the couch and moving as well. I actually enjoy watching my kids play together on the wii (or even with their grandparent - that is always a hoot!). But I also agree with the other post, why ride a virtual bike when you can ride a real one. Yet, I would say that my kids are very active naturally so, that isn't even an issue in our house.
What we do to limit time is, they have to "earn" playing time. When they want to play they have to do chores. 1 chore for 5 minutes on the wii, max out at 30 minutes a day. So, for me, it works great. With 3 kids I get all my little chores done!!!
Personally, I love the wii. But if it isn't for your family, it isn't for your family and don't feel guilty about not having it. My kids think we are horrible parents because they are the only kids they know that havn't been to disneyland! We are parents - we can never win!!!