Ross had been acting particularly grumpy the last few days so I decided we needed a little snuggle time to get to the bottom of things.
After our regular night time routine yesterday I called him in to snuggle and talk. I said, "Ross, I am worried about you. Are you okay?" After a few moments of thought he said, "Okay Mom here is the deal, I either want you to give me up for adoption or I want to see some changes around here." Despite his complete sincerity I found it hard not to laugh. After composing myself I managed to say, "Well, since giving you up for adoption is not an option- lets hear about the changes you would like to see." He launched into a list of 7 things he wanted to be different about our family- clearly he had given this some thought. Here they are in the order he gave them to me.
1. Making money chores worth more than $1 each.
2. Giving a raise in allowance.
3. Getting better "stuff" to play with.
4. Getting a pet you can "play with" (like a dog, chickens or a fish (his words not mine))
5. Doing more fun things as a family.
6. Being less busy.
7. Getting a game system of some sort.
Seriously people, what am I going to do with this kid? I love that he was willing to share his concerns (heck I am impressed that he could identify and verbalize what was bothering him) but... mama mia! Isn't this a little... I don't know, weird?
I mean, I actually agree with him on many of these things- they are changes I would like to see too (all except the game system thing of course). We have an extraordinary boring life and I imagine it is stifling to a fun loving guy like Ross but I am just not sure what to do about it.
On the one hand, life to is to lived to its fullest and enjoyed and if you can make things better for your children you should, right? But sometimes I think my kids have it WAY too easy and WAY too good. They had no idea what life is like for most people. I mean, if my sons greatest concerns in life are that he doesn't have a pet to play with or a game system to use, then his view is pretty limited. And while I get that that is probably normal for a 7 year old, I wish there was someway to teach them to recognize how much they have and to be grateful for it. Of course, we talk about "counting our blessing" and being grateful and living here in Italy (where so many people have so little) has helped a little but... they only know it in their minds they don't yet feel it in their hearts. (SIGH)
What can I do to teach them? How can I be a better example? What experience can I create for them to help them understand? Is it wrong to want them to have everything great opportunity and experience I can provide? Is it cruel to want them to make to struggle for things? What is the right balance?
My Journal of Thanks
- I am thanksful for vacations days- when the boys are home and we can sleep in and snuggle and play all day.
My Favorite Things
- Super Sparkly Christmas Decor!
My Miss List
- I miss having someone to talk to.
My Favorite Links
My Blog List
-
-
-
-
CYBERweek 20187 years ago
-
Authentic French Living8 years ago
-
-
Getting into the swing of things...10 years ago
-
Oakwood Basketball 2015-201610 years ago
-
Goodbye Animals10 years ago
-
-
The Big Chicken Experiment12 years ago
-
Music & Catnip13 years ago
-
Summer JOY14 years ago
-
FUN RUN14 years ago
-
Eye Candy For the Home!14 years ago
-
Look who is 4!!15 years ago
-
Holidays are here!15 years ago
-
I am Thankful15 years ago
-
New Christmas Soap!15 years ago
-
-
-
-
Powered by WordPress
©
My Moment in Time - Designed by Matt, Blogger templates by Blog and Web.
Powered by Blogger.
Powered by Blogger.
Anonymous | August 18, 2009 at 10:16 AM
I think every parent struggles with the same thing. It's one of those hard ones....you want to give to your children, but at the same time, you don't want to do them a disservice by handing them everything. Living in Italy really did open my eyes to life in America vs. everywhere else! America seems to be built on bigger, faster, better! (not always in a good way!) The words "instant gratification" come to mind. I'm not so certain my kids made that connection while living over there. Perhaps they were too young to look at the big picture. Looking at your boys, I have to say Laura, I think you are doing a fantastic job with these struggles. It's so hard to say no at the moment, but later on they will be grateful.
beth | September 1, 2009 at 1:23 PM
i love ross. that is all i can say to that. you are doing a good job, and i want you to know that 7 is a very self absorbed, grumpy age. there are a lot of good books on it. it is also a great time to do charity work:)
Christy Jane | September 17, 2009 at 6:58 PM
Laura -
I came across your blog after you sent the address out with your Christmas card. It has been so fun to check it here and there! What adventures you are having! Your boys are as handsome as ever (and funny!). We miss you here and hope you are having as much fun as it looks like you are!
Much Love -
Christy Reed