The Sites (part 2)

Our third Port of Call was Athens, Greece. I had high expectation for Athens but was sorely disappointed. Athens is very large, old, dirty, seedy and crowded. It actually reminded me a lot of Rome- no wonder I didn't like it at first. Perhaps with time it would have grown on me but I really didn't care for it the first time around. We decided to take a Cruise tour to the Acropolis where we saw the Parthenon. It was an impressive structure but I didn't care for our tour guide, it was also very hot and very crowded.

I know that sounds like a lot of complaining but it really does get better.
Because of a transportation strike in Athens the day were were there, we did not get to complete the tour we had paid for. So we asked to be dropped off in the down town area to explore a little on our own and do a little shopping. I really enjoyed walking around the city center. The first thing we saw the reconstructed original Olympic center. It was very impressive.
We bought lunch at a local market and eat on the steps near a church.
We did some people watching and a little shopping and really enjoyed our time together. When we were done we took a taxi to the port and we made it back to the ship just before they pulled up the gangplank.


Our final port day was spent on the Island of Crete. Robert and I decided to leave the boys on the ship and explore the Island on our own. It was such a delightful day. We hired a taxi and saw some beautiful things. Our taxi drive did not speak much English and of course we don't speak any Greek but he was very observant and noticed right away the kinds of things we were and were not interested in. He drove us through some very scenic places and pulled over often to let us take pictures. Here are a few of my favorites.
We visited some ancient ruins (because what trip to any European city is complete without visiting ruins of some sort?)

We visited the marina and old Military Fort.
Had a Gyro for lunch.

And then headed to the shopping district.
All in all it was a really delightful day!

0 comments: